Saturday, April 04, 2009

more painting!

snow_trees_final.jpg
acrylic paint

larger image

this is a painting I've been working on (on and off) over the past few weeks. Inspiration is from one of the tree photos taken on one of my walks.

some process pics:
snow_trees01.jpg
I started by painting the whole canvas black, and then used masking tape to "draw" some tree shapes. Then started filling in some flat color.

snow_trees02.jpg
Layered on more colors for the sky. Attempted to paint snow. kinda hard that.

snow_trees03.jpg
Happy with the sky. Not happy with the snow. Took the masking tape off to reveal the trees.

snow_trees_final.jpg
Added the branches to the trees, first with a paintbrush. Didn't like how that looked, so I switched to a palette knife. That actually worked quite well, but I blobbed on too much paint sometimes. Added white highlights to the snow with the palette knife. I think the palette knife works pretty good for a snow effect. Now I'm happy with how the snow looks, but not really liking the tree branches so much. Eh, it's a "sketch", I was playing around and having fun with the paint. :)

1 comment:

Allison said...

Cooool, nice process pics. I painted a mountain once and the snow looks pretty bad. I think I am going to go paint!