Thursday, August 18, 2011

fail.

I just failed clown school. Not very many people will get that, but that's okay. :)

Attempted a technique called goache resist. We were shown it in one of my illustration classes, but we never had to apply it to any projects. So I thought I would give it a go on my own. Results are: fail. I got a little confused as to how this technique actually works. I thought the goache would stay on the paper, but apparently it's supposed to wash off (being water soluble and all).

Here's a neat little tutorial I found via Google that explains the process and what is supposed to happen. :P

Below is my attempt. I'm glad I tried this as a "sketch" and not on an actual project. :)

pencil sketch

goache

painting covered with ink



Washed off ink with water. Cool texture but not what I had pictured in my head. :(



This image is from this book, illustrated by one of my fav illustrators, Gary Taxali.








1 comment:

Unknown said...

haha aw! You can't win em all I guess. I've never done a gouache resist. If you conquer it you'll have to do another post because it looks interesting. Hope all is well :)